Monday, June 27, 2011

Open Letter to Judge Sullivan

The following is an open letter to Hon. Michael J. Sulllivan, Chief Judge, McHenry County Circuit Court.

Dear Judge Sullivan,

I would like to ask your attention to decorum in many of the courtrooms at the McHenry County Government Center. As the result of the following conditions, it is often impossible to hear the proceedings in open court.

This morning I was visiting Judge Prather's courtroom.

As in many of the courtrooms, cases are called by judges in a loud, strong voice. Once attorneys and their clients approach the bench, however, voices drop to much lower tones, and it is impossible to hear most of the proceedings. The attorneys, whose backs are to the spectators and other courtroom visitors, speak in low tones to a judge. The judges too often speak in low tones to the attorneys.

Compounding the low voices at the bench are the disruptions in the courtrooms. Today groups of three attorneys and four attorneys stood between the railing and the bench, conversing about numerous matters. Because of the smiles and laughter, I suspected the conversations were not about cases coming up. Their voices and standing positions interfered with hearing and seeing the proceedings.

Then there was the noisy infant in the courtroom today.

Further disruption was caused by loud voices in the vestibule. Attorneys and clients spoke in loud tones which could be heard through the closed doors and interfered with hearing in the courtroom. The noise from the vestibule was louder as persons entered and left the courtroom.

The bailiff did nothing to quiet anyone in the courtroom or vestibule, attorneys included.

These conditions are not particular to Judge Prather's courtroom this morning. They occur regularly throughout the building.

I wonder if you might be open to discussing with the judges and with the chief of courtroom security what can be done to reduce noise and disruptions. I wonder too whether the judges might require all at the bench to speak up in normal conversational tones, so that they can heard throughout the courtroom.

Several years ago I believe it was an attorney at the courthouse who told me that the public has no right to hear what is said at the bench in open court. I do not agree.

I was told this morning in the Court Administration office that, if I couldn't hear, I could purchase a transcript. I don't want to purchase a transcript. I'd like to hear what is said. Many people have told me that they too cannot hear in our courtrooms. Perhaps it might be reasonable to amplify the proceedings in the courtroom, not just record them.

Respectfully,
Gus Philpott
Woodstock

No comments: