Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Parlez-vous français?"

That's what the judge asked this afternoon in Immigration Court in Chicago.

I spent the day in the Loop today, helping a friend with an immigration problem. Separately, I'll write about all the breakdowns in the DOJ procedures, but suffice it to say that "all's well that ends well."

After arriving on time at 8:00AM, as directed, at 55 East Monroe Street (which meant catching the 6:00AM Metra from Woodstock), my friend, who is a community college student from African country, his landlady and I cooled our heels all day. At 3:10PM his case was called, along with the cases of a Hispanic man and Hispanic woman. All three had indicated to the Court Clerk that they wanted continuances.

An Spanish-speaking interpreter was in the court for the man's case, and the woman, his wife, told the judge that she spoke English well. When the judge asked my friend if he spoke English, he said, "I am more fluent in French, but I also speak English, German and Fon."

And what said the judge? "Parlez-vous français?"

And away they went in French. I mean, you could almost feel the glee in the judge's voice as he got a probably rare opportunity to speak French. I think the proceedings got a little extra time and, for the entire time, I thought, "What a break for my friend!" The judge was clearly delighted to speak in French.

My friend is in the U.S. on a student visa, and he ran afoul of his student status early in 2010, when he wasn't able to re-enroll promptly at his community college. ICE picked him up on the far south side of Chicago and, after a quick stop at Bridgeview, delivered him to the McHenry County Jail's ICE unit. He called his landlady at 2AM; she searched the internet, found my name and sent me an email at 3AM for information about the McHenry County Jail. Did she reach the right person??? I happened to be up and replied at 3:15AM.

He was a guest in Sheriff Nygren's Hotel for several weeks, while his parents rounded up his bond and send it to me. I was able to represent him in court, after I carefully read the court's Appearance form.

The two immigration court judges (the one last year and today's judge) were great. The system that supports them in broken. But that's a story for another day (maybe tomorrow).

No comments: