Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Let's play "Find the Beetle"

What did I say when I heard snow was in the forecast? "Yippee."

And now? "Where's my car???"

An interesting part of this blizzard is the lack of snow "on" my car, although it is snowed in from the drifting. Likewise, most of the cars parked near mine had little snow actually on them.

But nobody in my parking lot is going anywhere any time soon. Our plowing service is stuck in traffic on U.S. 14  And I'm not going out, new tires or not.

For years I had thought I could go in any kind of weather. In Colorado we didn't panic when it snowed. If our vehicles and we were fit, we went. Then I learned during a blizzard in 1976 or 1977, that there were, after all, times when you couldn't go. I spent 90 minutes getting out of the garage and 100' down the driveway and then an hour getting back in the garage.

The rest of the day was spent helping motorists who were stranded in deep snow. Several neighbors and I shepherded them through waist-deep snow into our homes and warmed them up with coffee and hot chocolate. I recall one elderly woman who told us that she would just walk home - "only a mile or so." Ha! There was no way we would let her do that. She wouldn't have made it 100 yards in deep, blowing snow.

We didn't travel in the mountains or on the plains without survival gear. The survival list in the Northwest Herald yesterday was a good one. Find it and stock your vehicle. I'll bet those folks stuck on Lake Shore Drive for 5-9 hours yesterday wished they had done so!

2 comments:

Dave Labuz said...

It has indeed been a "bitch and half" this past day or two.

Speaking for my immediate neighbors, aka - "the gang of 12" as it were, we all helped each other dig out from under. I would not attribute our enthusiasm as being engendered or in any way inspired by being fellow residents, but simply as fellow Americans.

Certainly, there are many other disabled, sick and/or elderly residents that still need our help!

Being a gentleman of a certain age now, I no longer had the physical fortitude to do any more than I did today.

But all the same, most of those remaining neighbors that still need help, many know they can contact any of "our gang" for assistance at any time.

Hopefully, in the next few days, we'll be able to dig them out as well. But until then, we're ready to help otherwise!

Those of you that still need help - PLEASE call those of us who've been able to dig out thus far, for WHATEVER you might need!

Long ago, there were times I myself wouldn't have ever considered calling upon neighbors for help. And when the obvious "fruits" of my having not done so became apparent to them, I can't begin to quantify the negative opinions of "offended" neighbors whom I never took advantage of - and that's as an otherwise-able-bodied gent!

If you need a neighbor's help, please let us, your neighbors, know! This past snow event is incredible, and directly impinges on whether or not various residents can actually survive this event, or else can do so with grace and dignity. We have cars, we have gas, we have time and we have our respective larders of which we’d generously donate.

Please communicate with your neighbors! Without neighbors, we have nothing at all! And truth be told, we’d rather worry about someone else’s problems, rather than our own!

Dave Labuz said...

Gus Said:

>>>> “I recall one elderly woman who told us that she would just walk home - "only a mile or so." Ha! There was no way we would let her do that. She wouldn't have made it 100 yards in deep, blowing snow.”

Indeed – I was out until 2:00 AM today engaged in the “battle of the driveway”. I was fine at my own home – but ask me to walk “only a mile or so” – which you just KNOW in reality for the lady you mention here, being in actuality as many as 2 or 3 miles? LOL!

F U and the stranded car you got stuck in! You’re staying here tonight! LOL!