Monday, November 2, 2009

The Date

Whether or not this is true, it's a good read. I don't suppose the POTUS should be a hermit for four years, but anything close to this is ridiculous. I rather doubt that the author is one of the President's pilots, unless that was the last flight of his career.

Here goes:

Subject: The Date

First, let me say that I've moved three presidents up to now and I've seen incredible waste. But the "new" guy really takes the cake. I don't have an issue with the President promising his wife dinner and a show or that he even takes his wife out. But, when I saw the news say that the date cost $24,000, here's what you DON'T know.

Three days before "dinner" a C-17 flew Marines and the helicopter maintenance equipment to JFK Airport.

The day before "dinner" I flew the USSS and the motorcade to JFK Airport.

Our crew of 5 spent two days and nights at the Hilton in Times Square. My hotel bill: $621.66 plus $64 a day in per day in per diem. The USSS guys were at a different Hilton in NYC, so figure that cost another $14,000 (or so) plus per diem. The Marines had to have cost as much and were there four days, so figure another $55,000 plus per diem (for 44 Marines).

We were supposed to fly the motorcade back and go home, but the Air Force was so short of C-17's that we were re-tasked to take the motorcade back, return to JFK and take the helicopter back to Quantico.

When we got back to JFK, while the pilot was turning the plane around to park, he noticed a rotor blade sticking out of the hangar where the helicopter was parked and informed me that either it wasn't ready to transport or it was flying home.

After shutting down I walked over to the hangar and to my surprise I find FIVE helicopters, not ONE.

We're obviously not transporting five big helicopters. I went and talked to the Marines guarding the "fleet" and found that they were flying all five helicopters home and we were only transporting the Marines and the maintenance equipment.

After talking to the Marine(s) in charge, I was told that the White House requested FIVE helicopters. The Marines told me that they spent all morning trying to figure out how much it cost them to come and said they figured it cost them $140,000 to stay there (I don't know where they came up with that) and the trip's total had to be about $1,000,000. We heard that the President didn't use Air Force One (the 747) so I asked if he came in on one of the 757's. I was told that he came in on. THREE Air Force Lear jets.

So, date night consisted of: 2 C-17's flying three missions, 3 Lear jets, 5 Helicopters, Presidential Motorcade, 44 Marines, more than 20 USSS personnel on our plane. Who knows what it cost the NYPD and NY Port Authority (at the airport) in overtime.

These are the same people that chastised the automobile CEOs for using their aircraft. It further proves that the media only use the facts that make the President look good and hide any facts that will detract from his persona.

Is this the 'change' we expected? Talk with friends and those who are not blinded by charisma. Many folks I know who voted for Obama are very disappointed and sorry they did so. The Emperor's clothes on a grand scale. "Transparency"? Remember, 2010 is just around the corner. All we have to do is survive long enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This crap is the same crap from every other Prez before Obama. If ya lokk at all the "costs" of things, it'll drive ya crazy.... ex. my commute to work- fuel, oil, insurance, 40oz bottle of beer, tire wear, clothing I'm wearing (no underwear), etc, etc, etc.
Obama can go out with his wife anytime he wants, but he MUST have security from all the wacko's out there gunning for him. [goto tmz.com and see all the "stalkers" out there of celbrities]
There are three things Obama has to concern himself with: jobs/economy, war/Iraq, healthcare. Enuff said.
You got 2 things to concern yourself with: 1. winning your election for Sheriff. 2. brininging TMB in for justice.
You'll accomplish only one...

Gus said...

Ah, wait 'til you see my campaign button.... NO LIMITS

Another Lawyer said...

This is so curious. I would have thought that you were a big government, "rule for everything" kinda guy. I was wrong, I just assumed you were a Democrat.

Gus said...

I don't know what I am, politically. A disillusioned Republican? Not a Dem. A Libertarian? A Green? I'm just me, sickened by so much of what is going on.