Thursday, January 19, 2012

USPS Customer Service dropping

This afternoon I stopped at the Woodstock Post Office to mail a small package to Texas. I had already wrapped and addressed it, and it was just the size for the Post Office to handle, not UPS.

I guess I picked a good time to make that stop, because only one customer was being waited on by a window clerk. Another window/counter seemed to be open for service, and two employees were standing back from the counter, engaged in a conversation.

I stepped up to counter, expecting that the employee who was working that counter slot would end the conversation and return to the counter.

Wrong expectation.

After a few moments, I greeted them, and one turned to notice that I was waiting. Did she end her conversation and come to wait on me?

No.

And then, when she did return to the counter, she faced away from me and continued her conversation with the other employee.

This is the U.S. Postal Service concept of Service. They are already worried about huge financial losses and shrinking business, as more and more people use email and UPS and FedEx. Right now we don't have another choice for First Class Mail. I'm a captive customer. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to be ignored.

Now for the good part. When I bought my 20 stamps to use after the postage increase on Sunday, I saved 20¢, because she sold me "Forever" stamps.Whoopee! Frankly, I'd rather have paid the extra 20¢ and gotten faster service.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah... I've actually received great USPS service over the last few years. In fact, TMB can honestly say that customer service has improved overall in retail IMHO. Sure, there's a few times that someone blows it, but overall I feel I'm treated prety good. Especially at Liquor Stores! DOH!

yagottabekidding said...

"Look at me, I'm the king of the world!"

Gus said...

There was a period 3-4 years ago when service at the Woodstock Post Office was excellent.

I realize that, on the grand scale of things, Woodstock is a small town and service need be only adequate.

But to disregard a waiting customer, in any place of business, is just not acceptable.

yagottabekidding said...

Keep spreading that vinegar. I'm sure eventually you'll catch something-maybe even something you want. Says a lot about your reputation as a tireless defender of the great American "whiner" mentality when an employee, even one protected by a union,will risk their job by ignoring you.

Gus said...

tired, I'm sure you must know by now that it's not about "me".

No one should tolerate that kind of (dis)service.

Hey, here's an idea. When you want to whine about something, why don't you submit it over your name?

yagottabekidding said...

Bingo!

yagottabekidding said...

You'll probably post this comment. Why not the last ones? Ahhh, censorship. If you can post unde a "nom de plume" why can't I?

Gus said...

tired, where did you ever see that you thought I posted with a nom de plume?

If I have something to say or write, I use my name - always.