Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Let's make a deal...

The game show goes on. A lot of game shows are free. You might have to order tickets in advance, but many are free. Or you might be willing to cough up $5-10 for a seat, if you thought that the TV cameras might swing by so you could wave at your friends back home.

I had a great laugh this morning, when I read, "Attorney Ekl: Legal bills for state to pay." He was referring to the defense costs that the special Prosecutors Henry Tonigan and Thomas McQueen will incur, when they defend themselves against his $15,000,000 lawsuit.

It wasn't even a "slow news" day for the Northwest Herald, but they gave Ekl premium space on Page 1. First of all, Ekl doesn't have anything to do with who pays for the Special Prosecutors' defense bills. He filed his $15,000,000 lawsuit on behalf of his clients Bianchi, Synek, Salgado and McCleary and is looking for a big payday. What's his hand in the game? Is he in for 30% of $15,000,000? Is he looking for a $5,000,000 payday? Or will he settle for $91.50/hour for his actual time on the case, not counting press interviews?

Trying to toss the feed dish to the State is an attempt to deflect the anger that taxpayers will display, when McHenry County gets clobbered with the defense bills. Bianchi, Synek, Salgado and McCleary were found not guilty in a directed verdict. That case is over. It's done. If nothing was ever said about it again, no lasting harm was done.

Their egos got bruised a little. They spent time in court and got paid for working. Their attorney got paid by the taxpayers. So it's done. Fini...

Except now someone (more than one?) wants a big payday. And so a $15,000,000 lawsuit gets filed.

McHenry County has a nasty hand in the deal. According to this morning's article in the Northwest Herald, "... the McHenry County Board agreed to pay $275,000 toward Bianchi and his secretary Joyce Synek's legal fees. As part of the settlement, the county was to be left out of any civil lawsuits filed against Tonigan and McQueen." And, if Ekl is successful, the County gets its $275,000 back.

County Board Chairman Ken Koehler was attributed with a remark that the county "has no intention of defending the special prosecutors." Let's see, the County paid them to sink their teeth into Bianchi, Synek, Salgado and McCleary. Now the Board is trying to distance itself (and hang onto their seats).

That deal smells. Voters should turn out every County Board member at the next election and start with a clean slate in November 2012.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would assume that the defenses professional liability insurance carrier will defend and/or settle on their behalf, and potentially try to surrogate against the county or state.

Info Getter said...

Gus how funny it is you posts several new things on here to remove the post I commented on about your bogus info about Nygren being out of state during the Pyle incident! Come on Gus put it back up on the main page so people can read it and really see you and your not so good I know all skills. You also did that to another one I posted about you being wrong! Funny how you do that when you are proven wrong and don’t respond to disprove! I mean it took you less than ten hours to make sure it was off the main page. Maybe because you can’t and you don’t want people to know it! What a joke!!

Gus said...

"Info Getter," so far as I know, only two people can remove a Comment after it shows up on my blog.

First, I post 99% of the comments, good, bad or ugly.

Secondly, only the creator of the comment and I can delete them.

I have not deleted any comments that were published.

So, if it showed up here, then YOU deleted it. Readers need to know that you deleted it, and then know that you are accusing me of having deleted it. I didn't.

Info Getter said...

Gus nobody said you deleted anything. Please don’t try and put your spin on this that you are so well at doing by trying to say I deleted it. I said you posted other topics on the main page so the topics I made comments to would be moved over to the side where people don’t really look, where older topics you post are placed. Can you admit you were wrong on it or did I miss read what you posted on earlier topics on this subject. The last topic I posted about was under the topic “Nygren keeping low profile in Pyle case”? I’m not a fan of his, just trying to get you to report truth, don’t we deserve that? I can repost it if you would like. What I’m getting at is if you want to be a journalist you should post fact like they do! And when you are wrong you should post a retract.

Info Getter said...

Gus never mind. Other people who read this blog can find what I’m talking about. You will try to put some sort of spin on it! You can bet I won’t be back to this blog.

Gus said...

Info Getter, come on back to this blog, any time you have something to contribute.

Anonymous said...

Apperently IG doesn't understand how blog's work. When you post a new story, it goes on top, and everything else moves down one.

Gus said...

Thanks, MBlue. I think he felt I was moving articles around to stir him up. As you might know, Blogger has a mind of its own.

Anonymous said...

Gusomundo- TMB can attest that posts move around... and often. I can also attest that its not your fault- its me... after drink'n a couple of 40 ouncers of C45, EVERYTHING is moving around! DOH!