Monday, September 26, 2011

"You don't watch TV?"

I heard this question over the week-end, when I mentioned in a group that I don't have a TV.

Well, actually, it's not quite correct that I don't have a TV. I do have a TV; I just don't get a TV signal to it.

I was connected to the rooftop antenna on the top of the small apartment building in which I live. I had gotten a digital converter box, because I don't subscribe to cable or satellite services. The signal was fair most of the time, and I seldom turned on the TV, except to watch an old videotape or a movie or DVD.

One day, when I turned on the TV, I didn't get a signal. I fooled around with the cables for a couple of days and then called the manager to ask if they'd made any change in the rooftop antenna.

"Oh, we took that down three months ago. We thought everyone had cable."

Do I miss TV? No way. Sure, I'd like some shows on PBS or the History Channel or the Discovery Channel. But what would I give up for TV time? Not a thing!

No comments: