Saturday, September 24, 2011

Everything but the kitchen sink?

Did you read the article in the September 21st Northwest Herald about the lashing that an District Appellate Court gave Attorney Walter Maksym? Maksym represented Michael Stanard and his wife in a lawsuit against Sheriff Keith Nygren, whose nose got out of joint when Stanard objected to paying outrageous hourly rates for traffic and crowd control at a Galt Airport event for security that Nygren said had to be provided by the Sheriff's Department.

I remember the story at the time and the word "extortion" came to my mind.If Stanard didn't cough up, Nygren was going to shut down the roads to the airport festival site. Nice, huh?

It seemed that Attorney Maksym used the "kitchen sink" approach and threw everything into the lawsuit except the cucumbers (my words). I think I used "kitchen sink" in an article earlier this year, when I wrote about the lawsuit filed by a Marengo law firm on behalf of a Woodstock police officer, against a driver in an accident at Route 47 and Lake Ave. When I read the documents at the courthouse, that was my thought.

Sometimes, lawsuits are like manure on a barn wall. If you sling enough of it and it's loose enough, some of it might just stick.

I'm sorry about the outcome at the Federal Appellate Court, because Stanard was right.

Mike Stanard's hat is in the ring, along with eight others, for one of four District 6 seats on the McHenry County Board. District 6 is the large, rural, western-half of McHenry County.

No comments: