Friday, May 1, 2009

I am not a grouch

Contrary to popular opinion (among some), I am not a grouch - always. Sometimes? yes. Often? yes. Lately, I've found myself saying, "Yes, I complain a lot. AND I am as quick to compliment good service. If and when I come across it."

I've been watching my Gas Rewards balance at Jewel Express grow. You know - those points you earn for purchases at Jewel-Osco that results in cents-off at the gas pump at Jewel Express?

About five days ago I had a balance of $0.28 off per gallon. Hmm, starting to look pretty good. I wish I had a larger gas tank on the Beetle! And then I made a small purchase last night and earned an additional penny discount, but I noticed my new Gas Rewards balance was only $0.01. Whoa! What happened to my other $0.28???

And so I called Jewel-Osco customer care this morning and spoke with Lu.

Lu recently completed her training and followed the script carefully and politely. You know when they are following the script, because there are frequent "Thank you's" and "I apologize for ..."

Lu let me know that I was her first caller about Gas Rewards, and I guessed that the information screen on her computer was offering a lot of information, but where were my points?

She conferred briefly with her supervisor and told me I didn't have any points. Then she conferred again, and my $0.29/gallon point credit was back.

Now here's the point. I've worked phones and customer service, and Lu was working hard to satisfy me. And I knew it. And she did.

I appreciated her diligent efforts on my behalf, and I didn't get in a hurry while she worked her way through the unfamiliar computer screens and the availability of her supervisor.

And so I say, "Thanks, Lu!"

No comments: