Saturday, July 12, 2008

McDonald's Experience


Have you ever called the customer service hotline of a fast food restaurant after a particular dining experience?

When I was in the Chicago Loop yesterday for the first Second Amendment Freedom Rally, I was early, thanks to an on-time Metra train from Woodstock. Walking from the station to the James R. Thompson Center, I decided to stop at the McDonald's at Wacker Drive and Washington. As soon as I walked in, I knew there was something different about this McDonald's.

First, there was something inviting about the atmosphere. It was subtle and more felt than visible. Maybe it was that someone held the door for me. Perhaps it was because someone else held the door for a customer leaving with her order. Then I noticed that there were many cashiers at their registers, awaiting customers and smiling at customers who entered.

After I made my selection from the overhead menu, I stepped forward to an open register, and the young woman cashier there was happy, smiling, friendly and eager to take my order. The food order and my coffee were quickly served to me.

I looked for the manager when I was ready to leave, but I could tell that all the employees behind the counter were hurriedly serving customers and handling orders, so I did not interrupt their work to speak with him (his name and phone number were on the receipt).

This morning I telephoned McDonald's national customer service number and left my compliment for him. Yesterday's visit was definitely a Wow! experience.

And I have phoned the manager to express my appreciation for this truly different McDonald's experience.

© 2008 GUS PHILPOTT

1 comment:

CarpentersvilleActionNetwork said...

Gus, I've had good experiences at that particular McDonald's too.