Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FOID card processing - how fast?

I had to laugh today when I visited the Illinois State Police website, looking for something else, and came across information about when an applicant might follow up with the State Police on a FOID card application. FOID, as you probably know, stands for Firearm Owner's IDentification.

From time-to-time FOID cardholders scream about how long it takes to get a card or to receive a renewal card. According to 430 ILCS 65/5: "Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received..."

What made me laugh?

This message is on the State Police website: "Due to the large volume of firearm-related questions, please allow 30 days from the date your check cleared the bank before inquiring about the status of your FOID application."

So, if it takes the State Police 60 days to open the envelope and deposit your check, then you are asked to wait another 30 days before inquiring!

Wrong! And I'm sure you can see why.

I was reminded of a day in Denver, when I called a city tax department for forms. The clerk said, "You want us to mail the forms to you in 7-10 working days?"

"No," I told her. "I want you to mail them today. I know you'll mail them in 7-10 days."

No comments: