Sunday, January 10, 2010

Illegal campaign sign placement

In a late-afternoon phone conversation I learned that numerous political signs of candidates in the February 2 Primary Election have been placed along highway right-of-way and on private property without permission of the property owner.

I'm not going to bother to start up the buggy on this cold night, but I'll be out and about tomorrow and will see what pictures I can take as proof. Or should I say, as "evidence."

I believe that placement of political campaign signs in the right-of-way of a State highway or a County road is illegal. Period. The problem is that IDOT and the McHenry County Highway Department don't have the manpower to stop at every illegally-placed campaign sign and pick it up. They'd probably have to fill out 15 minutes of paperwork for each sign, and they'd probably have to store it, not just discard it.

If you see any outrageous examples of political sign placement, such as many signs of the same candidate in one location, let me know. I'm a non-partisan, EOO; Equal Opportunity Objector.

When I'm King, highway crews will have permission to remove and discard campaign and other advertising signs from the right-of-way. No questions asked. Just pitch them in the back of the truck and throw them in the burn pile back at the garage. No paperwork; no reports; no hassle.

No comments: