Saturday, January 9, 2010

Concealed Carry?

Spring Grove resident Lou Rofrano, 56, is taking action on the Illinois concealed-carry issue. Thanks, Lou!

Lou has organized the McHenry County Right to Carry Association, and he intends to show legislators that there are plenty of people in northern Illinois who want the right to carry. Count me in!

The new Association will hold an open house on Thursday, January 21, from 7:00-9:00PM at Lakemoor Banquets, 28874 West Rand Road, Lakemoor. For those wondering where West Rand Road is, that's Route 120.

Vote in today's poll on the Northwest Herald website on the question: "Should Illinois have a concealed carry gun law?" Go to http://www.nwherald.com/ and then scroll to the bottom of the homepage. (I've suggested to the Northwest Herald that they'll get higher participation if they put the poll at the top right where viewers will see it. Sometimes they do.)

By 8:49AM 72% of 166 voters had voted "Yes."

Shortly after I moved to Woodstock in 1996, I called the Woodstock Police Department to ask how to get an application for a concealed-carry permit. An officer there suggested I call the McHenry County Sheriff's Department.

When I called MCSD in March or April 1996 and asked the same question, a deputy laughed and said, "You will never get a concealed-carry permit in Illinois." Sure wish I had saved his name!

After Jack Franks was elected, I called his office to ask Jack to support concealed-carry legislation. His answer was always, "Well, I'm a member of the NRA". I naively accepted that and believed that he supported concealed-carry. Then, when I pressed one of his legislative aides about two-three years ago, I was told that Jack would never support concealed carry.

If you wonder where Jack stands today, catch him in person and ask him directly, "Will you vote for concealed-carry by law-abiding citizens in Illinois?" Look him right in the eye. Get a Yes or No answer from him. Let me know if he says, "Yes."

Sen. Pam Althoff has told me that she supports concealed carry.

For information on the McHenry County Right to Carry Association, attend the meeting on January 21 or write to Lou at P.O. Box 24, Spring Grove, IL 60081.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The link in this post does not lead to the Right To Carry article, nor is the article mentioned on the page that pops up.

Gus said...

Sorry that I didn't post the full link to the article. Even a search today for Rofrano does not retrieve that article; only a 2006 article with his name.

The poll was the poll-of-the-day. Not sure whether the NWH archives the polls.

Thanks for your comments.