Monday, March 5, 2012

Tch, tch, Keith. Where are your manners?

Sheriff Keith Nygren was in Woodstock today. Mark your calendars, if you are counting the days he is near his office this year.

How do I know?

I went to early voting at the McHenry County Government Administrative Building, 667 Ware Road, about 8:45AM. As I turned in my voting-machine card, there was Keith. And so I greeted him with "Good morning."

Nygren looked at me with no acknowledgement whatsoever and turned back to the woman working the table. As I left, I said, "Good morning, Sheriff. Thanks for being courteous and saying 'Hello'."

How small a person does it take to refuse to greet anyone in response to a friendly greeting? With Nygren? Well, I wouldn't want to denigrate his brain or his mind, so I won't venture a guess.

But I did tell the story to some people (mostly Republicans, I would guess) at a meeting later in the morning. I added, "What a jerk. And you can quote me on that."

It's not the first time Nygren has shunned me, and it probably won't be the last. I recall passing him in an aisle at Walgreens in Woodstock (and you know how narrow those aisles really are) and at an Expo in Harvard, where he ignored a greeting from me.

My mom taught me to be polite to people and to greet them. Sorry, Mom, but I might have to practice up, if I am to run into Keith again.

Maybe I'll have to start showing up at Republican political events and see if his tune changes, if his peers are observing him.

7 comments:

Midnight Rider Review said...

Gus, I think Keith likes to keep a 'vehicles distance' from you.

THEN, he will greet you, right?

Pull into a naked parking lot some night I'm sure you will get a greeting.

Jewel in Woodstock I'm guessing would be your best chance!

yagottabekidding said...

Seriously? You've been baiting him for how long now? Props to the Sheriff for ignoring you.

Gus said...

So next time maybe I should say, "Sheriff, you may not remember me. I'm Gus Philpoyt. How are you today?"

Anonymous said...

The guy is a tool. Why bother? You'll get your props when you see him rooming with Blago in the not-too-distant future. Doh.

Anonymous said...

BTW, dont forget- vote early... vote often. DOH!!!

Gus said...

I keep reminding myself, "Take the high road." Sometimes, I slip and get snarky (like today).

Gus said...

Awww, shucks. I was laughing at Keith so hard when I left that I forgot to tell the ladies working at the voting table, "See you later."