Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Where's the news?

On Sunday morning Woodstock Police "rescued" three injured men from an apartment on Washington Street in Woodstock. On their third visit to the apartment in a fairly short period of time, they pushed their way in and found three men injured. According to the Northwest Herald articles, seventeen were transported to the Woodstock Police station, where they were later released without being charged. Are charges pending?

News made it into the Monday morning Northwest Herald but, other than an update on Omar Manriquez-Cazares' hospitalization (after a Flight-for-Life ride from Centegra Hospital-Woodstock), there is no word.

Is this just another case of "old news". Are residents of Woodstock are to be kept in the dark? Are reporters having a hard time getting updates from Woodstock PD?

Somebody (or, let's say, some people) in that apartment pounded on those three guys. Didn't the police notice bruises or scraped knuckles or blood on anyone else? What about the three minor girls in the apartment? Any alcohol or drugs present?

Why was the early-morning Northwest Herald online story altered to remove the name of the 23-year-old female renter of the apartment and to remove the comment by Chief Lowen? Did I just dream that at 3:00AM?

Should Woodstock residents feel secure that their police department is acting promptly and thoroughly to halt gang activity in Woodstock?

Residents want the police to issue complete press releases and want the newspapers to print them. Sticking heads in the sand and pretending crime is not happening is not acceptable. The City of Woodstock doesn't want to consider a blog as media, so I don't receive press releases from the police department. If I want news, I have to submit a FOIA request and wait five business days..

In 2008 the City claimed The Woodstock Advocate didn't have many readers, so I put a counter on this blog. There have been over 3/4 million page views in the last three years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't classify myself as a "reader" of your blog... since I don't know how to read and my gramps has to translate.
I try to look at the pictures, but since there aren't any, I just have my gramps type in some occasional comments. Doh.