Friday, February 10, 2012

Driving (or not) on snow

What are people thinking about? Or are they thinking?

Let's see: Snow-slick road. Curving roadway. Railroad crossing.

Ouch! This crash on Lily Pond Road at the Metra rail grade crossing looks like it left this vehicle in a rather dangerous position, should the next Metra train for Chicago come by.

If you come upon such an accident, the phone number for Metra is on the utility box near the crossing. The number may not be on the side of the box facing the crossing, so walk around it. If a train-vehicle crash is imminent, move up toward the approaching train, so that you won't be hit by debris.

What's it look like to you? Maybe about 20-25MPH speed at impact?

Thanks to the reader who emailed the picture to me! You are appreciated!

3 comments:

Gus said...

From a reader:

"What are you thinking? You should be more careful about getting a cheap laugh at someone else’s expense. This woman slid on black ice, which is why she hit that pole. While trying to pull herself together she saw that a train was coming. She grabbed her stuff, and luckily was able to walk away. It ended up that the train heading her way was on the other tracks. Luckily for her there are still some good people out there that pulled over, and kept her out of the storm while police arrived.

"The police and Metra were notified within 5 minutes of the accident. The vehicle was able to stay there until a tow truck came, because everyone was alerted. In the future, stick to what you know, whatever that is!"

Anonymous said...

"Black Ice"??? I might be as dumb as a sack of rocks most of the time, but I believe ice created from water is colorless, and it's called "ice".
"Black" is just another made up term used to describe ice on the roadway.
I could be off base here but I'm gonna start calling my C45 "gold beer." DOH!

Gus said...

I know about "black" ice. I bought my motorcycle on one of those days. I went to St. Charles to look at it, and the owner had a step stool at the end of his driveway, blocking it. My first thought was, "Huh?"

When I began to walk up the driveway, I found out why the step-stool was there! Needless to say, all I did was start the motorcycle in his garage, and I went back three days later when it was "warm" (40° F.) to ride it home.