Thursday, February 2, 2012

Superior service from ICE agents

Over the past several months I have attempted to assist a Nigerian detainee who was being held in the McHenry County Jail for the Immigration Service. He had been arrested in Chicago in April 2010, and he made a deal and then served a four-month sentence in the Cook County boot camp. When he was released, ICE was there and waiting and sent him to the Nygren Hotel, 3rd floor, at 2200 N. Seminary Avenue, Woodstock. That was in June 2011.

His family sent the $5,000 bond money to his brother in Philadelphia but, in this case, it was not quite the City of Brotherly Love. His brother finally delivered the bond money to the ICE office there, and the man here in McHenry County was released yesterday. He had spent 7 1/2 months as a registered "guest" at the Nygren Hotel, at $90.00/day. The cost to the Feds? $20,250.

When it appeared late last week that the brother in Philadelphia was finally going to pay the bond, I called the Philadelphia ICE office. I had expected the same treatment as I had experienced from the Chicago office about 1 1/2 years ago in another matter. At that time, no one in the Chicago ICE office answered phones or returned calls.

But the agent in Philadelphia answered the phone promptly and was friendly, helpful, polite and courteous. And I thanked her for being so.

And then I called the Chicago office. I recognized that I had reached the desk of a different agent and his voicemail message was unhurried and complete, including the name and telephone number of his supervisor. Imagine that! Within 15 minutes the agent returned my call and explained the release procedure. He said he would have the detainee transported downtown on Wednesday and, if the brother did post the bond, then the man would be released. I asked about furnishing a jacket, and he said they provided coats to those who needed them, so that they would not be turned out on the Chicago streets in cold weather without a coat.

After the man was released, the ICE agent even called me back to inform me of the release. He too was courteous, polite, thorough and unhurried.

My thanks to Officer Pepple at the Chicago ICE office. You are a credit to the Immigration Service. The detainee called me and also complimented your performance of your duties. Thank you!

No comments: