Thursday, July 14, 2011

Endorsement by elected official?

A reader contacted me today to ask if I thought the Sheriff's testimonial in a paid commercial ad looked like an improper use of an elected official's title. (The reader has no affiliation with the McHenry County Sheriff's Department.)

What do you think?

There is a full-page ad on the last page of today's Sidetracks in the Northwest Herald. The ad is for Donley's Old West Steakhouse. Randy Donley is a County Board member, representing District 6.

Here's how the testimonial reads:

"I've held several fundraisers at Donley's. The food is delicious, the service and surroundings are exceptional and their pricing has always been the best!" - Sheriff Keith Nygren"

Because he mentions the fundraisers, the Sheriff is obviously referring to political events. His praise is nice, but is there any chance he got a break on pricing because he is Sheriff? or because he is a Republican? or for any other reason? When does the Sheriff submit his budget to the County Board?

Is it appropriate for him to use "Sheriff" in his testimonial, since the events were political fundraisers? I suspect there are many who would prefer that he had just used his name without the title of his elected office.

Are there other questions to ask about the use of his title in a testimonial? Is it legal? Is it ethical?

My thanks to that reader who contacted me. I'm wondering if others wondered the same thing. Did you? Do you? (Did you even notice the testimonial? (I didn't))

No comments: