Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thinking about history

I enjoy posting my "Favorite Quotes" to the right. They often remind me of people and places I've known in the many places I lived. And of incidents and events in my life.

But one of the things of which I am also reminded is what the times must have been like for the person to whom the quote is attributed. For example, in Norman Vincent Peale's lifetime of 1898-1993, what was going on in his life? in the United States? in the world?

Do you ever think about constructing a calendar of events in your own life? or think about what was going on in the U.S. or in the world, when you were a child? in high school? after college? during your working years?

Check out this interesting website: www.infoplease.com/yearbyyear.html  Maybe even use it to create some interesting dinner-table conversations.

You do eat dinner around a table as a family, don't you?

No comments: