Friday, April 8, 2011

An interesting possible explanation for no-show

The reason for a ticket being issued to a cop in an crash, and a subsequent no-show in court, was pretty obvious to me, but I didn't want to run with it until a law enforcement officer contacted me today to put it into words.

I hasten to add that I am awaiting confirmation of the identity of the deputy but have not received it yet. Should have it before 5PM.

When the officer called me today, he said the deputy must have been told to write a ticket to Ofc. Paul McNamara of the Prairie Grove P.D., because Ofc. McNamara had obviously rear-ended a stopped car in the roadway. How could the deputy investigate a crash, be told by McNamara that he had been distracted by something inside the vehicle (hopefully elaborated upon in the crash report), and not write a ticket?

Every cop knows that, if he writes a ticket but doesn't show up in court, the ticket will most likely be tossed out. What if he wrote the ticket on February 4, but never intended to show up in court for a trial?

You know....  wink, wink.... here's the ticket, buddy. I have to write it, but don't worry about it.

Does this ever happen? Where is the integrity of an officer/deputy who would do such a thing. In the toilet, for sure.

Nothing will please me more than to learn that there really was a bonafide reason for the deputy's absence from court on Wednesday, not just a day off or too tired from the night shift or an appointment to get his dog groomed or he forgot or (fill in the blank). And for the State's Attorney's Office to re-file the charge, get a new date for the trial and, next time, subpoena the deputy to be there.

Lt. Miller told me about 1:00PM that he didn't know who the deputy was and that he knew I'd filed a FOIA request.

Is there a standing order at MCSD that the FOIA officer must notify command personnel at MCSD immediately, if I file a FOIA request? What would be the valid business purpose for command personnel to know about it so fast, or even at all? Don't they have more important things to do, like run a 400-employee organization?

Or is damage control going to be necessary?

No comments: