Monday, July 19, 2010

Obama waste hits home

I have generally not blasted Pres. Obama for issues that have generated disappointed among so many of his original supporters, not to mention the opposition, but his waste of "our" money for a trip to Illinois on August 5 for a fundraiser is preposterous.

OK, so such trips haven't just started with Obama. Perhaps all presidents have made such trips. Obama is scheduled to come to Illinois to raise money for the Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate, Alexi Giannoulias.

What will it cost us for Obama to come to Chicago? If he just caught the red-eye on United from Dulles, that cost would be okay. But POTUS doesn't travel that way. How many 747s will come? Not just Air Force One, but one-two others. And then the whole entourage of security and support, and the City of Chicago? Its expense for a presidential visit?

Give me a break!

If I were President, I would make only a few official trips, given the total cost. Somebody wanted to see me? They'd come to the White House. And I'd vacation right in Washington, D.C. - a spot millions from around the world come to visit. And no fundraisers and other wasteful trips.

Never fear. After a term as Sheriff, I promise not to run for President.

No comments: