Wednesday, June 23, 2010

County-wide bullying hotline?

Be sure to read Mary Fox's Letter to the Editor in today's Northwest Herald. She writes about bullying, mean-spiritedness and violence.

What McHenry County needs is a county-wide hotline for reports of bullying.

It wouldn't have to be a manned hotline, although messages should be collected at least daily. Bullying is usually an ongoing problem that doesn't require emergency action. It's certainly important, but often not urgent. Any urgent or emergency need should be reported to police and the school district office, then reported to the hotline.

Non-emergency reports could be made to the hotline, where volunteers could work with the bullied student and parents to guide them through the reporting process and to help them get corrective action.

A hotline would reduce the possibility that school personnel would attempt to diminish the importance of reported bullying. A hotline would also help identify schools with problems that are not being addressed. School personnel are not likely to tell a student or parent that others are also reporting bullying.

Students and parents: what do you think? Is it time for a bullying hotline in McHenry County?

5 comments:

FatParalegal said...

No, I don't think there is a need for a bully hotline. This summer, I'm making a "hotline" list of people I'm calling, in order. When one doesn't work, I go to the next higher up.

For example, I have mentioned that my son is often bullied on the bus. OK, the first call is to the bus garage. If that doesn't work, the next call is to the principal. If that doesn't work, the next call is to the Superintendent. I read on Huntley Neighbors that this last call gets things done.

I just *WAIT* for the day when my son comes home with a black eye or a welt or other visible injury. Then, my first phone call will the the police department. This year, I am ready for the bullies.

Gus said...

May I offer a suggestion to confirm that first call with an email, with copies to the principal and superintendent?

Pete and Pam Wright (www.wrightslaw.com) advise, "If it's not written down, it never happened." Create the paper trail early.

Franker said...

"I just *WAIT* for the day when my son comes home with a black eye or a welt or other visible injury."~

Seriously? Kids get into fights and get black eyes! Its called life! No, its not fair! But again it is called LIFE! Maybe you should teach him how to defend himself.

FatParalegal said...

No, Frank. You are wrong. Kids should not get into fights. I can't believe you're advocating that as part of "life". Spoken like a bully.

FatParalegal said...

Incidentally, Frank, my son has a black belt in Tae Kwon Doh. The kid who has hit him in the past is 2 grades younger than him. My son did not fight back because he felt it was wrong to hit someone younger and smaller than him. That didn't prevent his eye from swelling up. For reasons unknown, my husband opted not to call the police on this action, perhaps because he couldn't fathom that a 3rd grader could beat up his 11 yr old son.

So I'm curious, Frank, if you have suggestions other than physically fighting back for my son. I might add that he's high-functioning Asperger's. Seriously, if you have suggestions that don't invite physical fighting, I'm open.