Saturday, June 7, 2008

Temperatures in Iraq

As I travel by motorcycle in 95-99º F. temperatures in south Florida, I give pause and reflect on the conditions that our troops in Iraq face. I can duck into shade; I can stop at a Rest Area; I can hit McDonald's for a coke. Right now I'm sitting in air-conditioning, in a comfortable chair, logged onto a computer at my sister's home.

What about our troops in Iraq? According to an email making its rounds, a typical 7-day forecast for Baghdad is (Highs-Lows)

Fri. 115ºF-89ºF
Sat. 117ºF-89ºF
Sun. 120ºF-90ºF
Mon. 122ºF-91ºF
Tues. 122ºF-92ºF
Wed. 121ºF-95ºF
Thurs. 120ºF-95ºF

If you haven't been in Phoenix or Tucson, you probably don't know what 122º F. feels like. Our troops need our support and prayers for strength, endurance, and safety.

I'm wearing a t-shirt, jeans and am barefoot. Over there? Full military gear, body armor, weapons, ammunition, water. How much gear does a soldier carry in combat? Thirty pounds? Forty? Fifty?

I support our troops, but I do not support that administration that lied to and deceived the American public. We are stuck now, just like in Viet Nam. It will take courage to extricate ourselves from the quagmire in Iraq. Yes, I'm concerned about the people of Iraq after we pull out. I happen to be more concerned about the people of the U.S.A.

Read Scott McClellan's new book. Woodstock Public Library will have it soon. What does it take for a President's mouthpiece to break out and give us an inside look? Whistleblowers are seldom popular, but they should be. This fall's election is critical for this country. Study the issues. Study the candidates. Dig for facts. Don't make a knee-jerk reaction with your valuable vote in November.

© 2008 GUS PHILPOTT

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

you are fantastic!!!

a kiss for you, my dear friend!

god bless u dear

can we exchange our link

r u ready to do?