Thursday, June 19, 2008

Osco Price Scan Error

When I made a purchase at Osco this morning, I was pleased to see the shelf tag with a Preferred Card Discount of $4.00 on the $13.92 item. Often I miss the sales, and this morning I had gone to Osco to purchase the item, whether or not it was on sale.

When I got to the cashier, I handed her my Preferred Card and watched her ring up the purchase. I assumed the correct price would ring and didn't check the receipt. Upon arriving at home, I noticed the price error when I entered the amount in my checkbook. I was glad I had used my debit card, because I might not have noticed the error a few weeks later when a credit card statement arrived.

I phoned the Osco counter and the same cashier answered. She remembered the transaction and asked me to stop at the Customer Service counter on my next trip to the store; then she quickly offered the information that the item would be free because of the scanning error.

I decided to handle it today (and visit the RedBox movie kiosk, thanks to a promotional e-mail from RedBox). When I arrived at the Customer Service counter, the young woman phoned for the price check, and an Osco employee brought her the sales price tag from the shelf with the $9.99 price (through June 21). She rang up my full credit and then started to charge me for the $9.99 sales price.

As soon as I reminded her of Osco's no-charge policy when a price scan is higher than the sale price, she remembered it.

Moral of the story? Check the prices while your transaction is being rung up. Check your receipt. Save your receipt. Know store policies. Ask for the right correction.

I appreciated the quick counsel from the Osco cashier who informed me of the Osco policy. Thank you!

No comments: