Sunday, June 29, 2008

One is a Lonely Number


See this poor, lonely, naked signpost? It's right in front of the Opera House. Why would I even see it and pay any attention to it?

About three years ago I contacted the City after a tourbus parked one Sunday afternoon right in front of the Opera House, after discharging its passsengers for a performance there. I felt that the bus ought to be moved away from the front of the Opera House during the two-three hours that its passengers would be inside.

The City informed me that the parking area right in front of the Opera House was a Loading Zone and agreed that the bus could stop there to unload and pick-up passengers. Several times after that, I asked why there was no Loading Zone sign and I was told that, once upon a time (you can tell where this fairy tale is going...) there had been a Loading Zone sign there and it would be replaced.

I don't give up on much, but I did give up on this issue. I figured that maybe the City funds just weren't available for a $25.00 sign, or maybe no Public Works employees were available (how many would it take?) to install a small sign. Anyway, how much can one nag on behalf of a lonely signpost on a street corner?

So, what was on the Agenda of the City Council for its June 17th meeting? An "Ordinance designating the area on Van Buren Street in front of the Woodstock Opera House as a Passenger Loading and Unloading Zone."

Of course, this causes me to wonder whether the area was really previously designated as a Loading Zone and if there ever was, really, a sign on this lonely post.

Rest easily, signpost. Soon you'll have a real purpose in Woodstock.

© 2008 GUS PHILPOTT

No comments: