Thursday, June 12, 2008

McDonald's In Woodstock

I'll be among the first to approve of diversity in culture and employment but, when I go to McDonald's in Woodstock, far from the border with Mexico, I expect to order in English, pay with U.S. money and get the right change.

Tonight's experience?

I believe I was being served by a new employee. When I had to repeat my simple order a second time, I spoke clearly, slowly and distinctly. I mean, what is so hard about one McChicken and a small fry? To go. After I said "To go" the third time, he asked again if the order was "to go."

Then I handed over three $1.00 bills. First the drawer was out of pennies, and he asked another employee for pennies. That employee pointed to the roll of pennies already in the drawer and told him to break the roll. For a $2.14 order, I know I should get $.86 back.

And the register takes the math out of it for employees, who long ago were never taught in school how to count "up." I should have just kept my mouth shut, when he handed me two quarters, three dimes and a penny. But he said, "Eighty-six cents", as he handed me $.81. And so I asked for the missing nickel.

The first three employees he asked to open the drawer for the nickel that was M.I.A. could not help him. I showed my change to the fourth, and that's when I said, "That's okay", grabbed my sack and headed for home before the food was cold.

There should be some tests that a big corporation administers to prospective employees to find out if they can make change or know the different coins of the country in which they are working. There should be some drills out of the customer's view, and an employee should have some skill and accuracy before being turned loose at the counter.

He was a nice young man. He was trying hard, and I appreciated that. But I wasn't there to train him or to be his training partner. I was there for my food, and I wanted to be on my way.

Oh, did I mention I was the only customer at the counter?

© 2008 GUS PHILPOTT

No comments: