Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Truman - a great book

Thanks to a local friend I began reading Truman, by David McCullough. Harry S. Truman (1884-1972) was President of the United States from April 12, 1945 until the end of own full-time as President.

The book by McCullough is very readable, but it takes some time. It's 992 pages are worth reading carefully.
Being from Missouri myself and being a kid during Truman's presidency (and son of a man who said he'd always vote for the right man "as long as he was a Republican"), I didn't learn much about Truman until now. Don't wait as long as I have to read about our presidents!

My favorite line from the book so far - "[I am] just a common everyday man whose instincts are to be ornery, who's anxious to be right." (Page 360)

Sort of reminds me of me.

No comments: