Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Philpott's name - part of Delisi investigation

I got tied into the police investigation of the death of Bobby Delisi on September 13. I wonder whether I should publish my comment to the detective of the Woodstock Police Department, when he called me. I generally avoid the use of profanity on this blog.

After the Northwest Herald articles came out, I wrote my first article opining on Bobby Delisi's death and where and how his body was discovered on the outbound Metra tracks near the Woodstock Police station.

I admit that my timing was wrong. After I received a polite email from one relative, I decide to pull the article from this blog.

Then a couple of nastygrams from other relatives arrived. I hoped that I understood their grief and their reaction, and I did not respond "in kind." And then Det. Sgt. Kurt Rosenquist called me for a copy of the article that I had written (and pulled). He said he had been contacted by three family members and one anonymous person, who had complained about my article.

Kurt and I get along okay, even though I've been hammering the Woodstock Police Department over the lack of any news about activity in the Beth Bentley disappearance and the initial blocking of contact with the Woodstock Area Crime Stoppers group. But I was very direct about just what he could tell anyone who whined to the police department about an article on a blog.

Maybe if he had not said he was calling because he had received those contacts, I might have felt differently. Fortunately, I am not intimidated by  any police contact. I have some knowledge of how police work; not a lot, but enough to understand the "game". Some people will be scared by contact with police; I am not. I know people in and around Woodstock who have been scared (and scarred) by contact with law enforcement.

I still hold onto the naive idea that the police are your friends. They are there "to protect and serve."

As one member of the McHenry County Sheriff's Department is reported to have said a couple of years ago, the motto is not to protect and serve "us", meaning the deputies. It is the protect and to serve the public.

3 comments:

Dave Labuz said...

Geez, Gus - CHILL!

Just one more McHery County corpse!

No biggie!

Geez!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't take much effort to be a kind person. Especially to a family that is greiving. When people grieve the death of someone they don't take kindly to interference. At the beginning you almost sounded like a concerned citizen. Instead of just pulling the article because it is causing this family pain. You are justifying leaving it up because several people asked you to take it down. That is defiance that is childish behavior. You want everyone else to do the right thing and obey the rules. But sometimes doing the right thing isn't black and white. Treating people that are suffering from a loss with kindness is the right thing. And being humble is pulling the article.

Gus said...

Rumor, thank you for your comment.

I didn't write this article because of the stupidity of a call to me from the police department about something I had written.

Where is the outrage at the events that led to Delisi's death and how his body ended up on the RR tracks?

THAT is the issue. Is there an investigation into his friends and acquaintances and, in fact, all in his life to determine who was providing drugs to him, if anyone was? The allusion is that he was not unfamiliar with Woodstock's drug scene.

Have the users, the pushers, the dealers been identified and turned in?