Thursday, April 25, 2013

Trotter skates with $190 + community service

.25 cal. Beretta
Remember the arrest of Illinois Senator Donne Trotter (D-17 (Chicago)), who tried to pass through airport security with a .25 cal. Beretta pistol and bullets on about December 5, 2012?

OK, so what would happen if you tried that? You'd still be sitting in the clink.

But Trotter?

Yesterday he pled guilty to misdemeanor (da more I miss, da meaner I gets) reckless conduct. Yes! A misdemeanor!

And how far did he have to dig into his wallet? Only to the first $190 for fines and costs. Hell, stop sign ticket in McHenry County will cost you more than that! Oh, and he has to serve 60 (only 60!) hours of community service! And what was done about the fact that Trotter's gun was not registered, as required, in Chicago? Nothing...

Well, the next time I get arrested for trying to get to my flight with a gun and bullets, I'll have to check the queue for Judge Charles Burns.

Plea deals get worked between the prosecution and the defense. Why did the prosecution and the judge consent to such a deal?

Did the prosecutors check the time-card records at Allpoints Security & Detective, Inc. for the past 24 months? How many late-night shifts did Donne Trotter really work on shifts that required him to carry that "pea shooter" of a pistol? Did any work that Trotter did there require him to be armed? Any?

No security guard I know would carry such a light, less-effective weapon. Imagine confronting some gangbanger in a dark lumber yard some night after the silent alarm rang. If a guard is challenging an armed trespasser or thief, he'll certainly want more fire power than a .25 cal. Beretta.

Trotter got a sweetheart deal. Kind of makes you sick, doesn't it?

4 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Trotter didn't get anything anyone wouldn't get. Arrests like this are handled this way his everyday. Plea bargains are the norm.
I know the Officer that arrested him. The CCSA office at first denied Felony charges when contacted by the arresting Officer for approval of Felony charges. It wasn't until they realized who he was that they finally approved them.
My friend tells me that Trotter was a perfect gentleman and feels that he actually did forget the pistol was in his possession. He feels that it was in fact a mistake.

Gus said...

And I believe him. Perhaps he should not have even been charged in the first place, but imagine the outcry.

But I don't think Joe Schmoe would have gotten the same deal. I think an average citizen would have been hung out to dry. I also think there should have been answers about his "employment" and gun-carrying authority.

Mike said...

I would love to hear how they arrived at reckless conduct. That in no way fits the facts as presented on this article.

Gus said...

Right! Reminds me of the cases I observed in the McHenry traffic court branch of the Circuit Court, when the judge accepted negotiated pleas for under-age alcohol charges and fined a bunch of high school kids $100 for parking violations.

The kids were laughing before they ever got out of the courtroom.