Thursday, March 7, 2013

Zinke's 12/3/10 letter to FBI

Remember the infamous letter from the FBI to Undersheriff Zinke on January 4, 2011, that was waved in the faces of many (figuratively, if not literally) to disclaim any wrongdoing by Sheriff Nygren, after Deputy Scott Milliman made some statements in a deposition in November 2010?

Of course, the FBI's letter didn't disclaim any such thing about Nygren. In fact, it didn't even mention Nygren's name. But I recall that it was used to proclaim the innocence of Nygren.

Because the format of the FBI's letter was suspicious to me, last June I requested a copy of it from the FBI. I figured that, if they furnished it to me, then I'd know it was real.

Guess what? The FBI can't find it. My June 14 FOIA to the Chicago FBI office resulted in no response. My follow-up in 30 days resulted in a letter from the Washington, DC office of the FBI. Correspondence continued into the fall, when they told me that they had sent me a letter in July, stating there was no record of such a letter. They offered to re-send that letter. I requested it, but they never sent it.

I had tried to get a copy of Zinke's December 3, 2010, to the Chicago office of the FBI; I requested it from the McHenry County Sheriff's Department. The McHenry County Sheriff's Department has no record of it. Now, just how does an official letter disappear? It must have been on Zinke's computer or on his secretary's computer; right? Or maybe on his computer at home? As an official document, it is subject to FOIA. As an official document, it is not to be destroyed.

Finally, I got it from the FBI. It exists! Imagine that!

On December 3, 2010, Undersheriff Zinke wrote to SAC (Special Agent in Charge) Robert D. Grant at the address of the FBI's Chicago office and referred to a numerous crimes alleged to have been committed by Sheriff Keith Nygren - "corruption, mortgage fraud, trafficking illegal aliens and soliciting murder."

Did Zinke open an investigation? Did he summon the Illinois State Police to investigate? Did he ask the FBI to investigate? Did he offer the full resources of MCSD to the FBI?

Instead, in his sentence immediately following those alleged crimes, he writes, "I assure you these allegations are untrue."

How could he provide such assurance without investigation?

Jeez. I'm reminded of the Boy Scout oath. "On my honor, I promise to do my best - to help myself and cheat the rest." No, wait; that's what my dad used to say (jokingly), when I was a kid.

Or was Zinke following the Scout Law? "A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent." Loyal? Check. Obedient? Check. Well, two out 12 ain't all that bad.

More from Zinke's December 3, 2010, letter will follow. The question still remains, "How did that letter disappear from MCSD records?"




No comments: