Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tollway stupidity

[NOTE: On April 1 (no fooling) a Tollway customer service manager called to inform me of the correct policy at the Illinois Tollway. Accounts are not deactivated after 90 days, if a transponder is not used.]

After writing the article about the outrageous cash tolls on the Illinois Tollway, I decided to check my dormant balance in my own I-Pass account. I've had an I-Pass for more than ten years and even got a second one, so I could avoid the cash toll-rate when on my motorcycle.

When I attempted to access my online I-Pass account today, the system did not recognize my UserName. I saw the steps to re-set it, but I wanted to know why it wouldn't, so I called Customer Service.

The first rep couldn't help me; all she could do was repeat her script that I had to re-set my username name and password. Not good enough! I wanted to know why!

A supervisor was a little more helpful. She knew that, if a user didn't use his I-Pass for 90 days, then he would have to re-set the username and password, but she couldn't explain the reason for the short leash.

So I called the office of Illinois Tollway Executive Director Kristi LaFleur (630.241.6800) and left a message for her that this requirement makes no sense whatsoever. And then I wrote to Jon Hilkevitch at the Chicago Tribune, who writes an excellent traffic column every Monday.

Maybe if a couple of thousand I-Pass customers call Ms. LaFleur next week, they'll wake up and eliminate that stupid restriction.

4 comments:

bill Matteson said...

I believe the main reason that George Ryan was sent to prison, was because he had the audacity to want to incorporate the Tollway system into IDOT, therefore losing the biggest cash cow the Illinois Democrats have.. there is so much money they don't even know how much they are stealing, which is (I believe) is the main reason they put in the I pass..I sure would love to see a federal Investigation into that...

yagottabekidding said...

Funny... I have five sperate vehicles registered on one Ipass device. Totally legal. Haven't used it since lat 2011 so when I went to check my account I found it was unchanged and ready for use. Maybe you just forgot your user info?

Gus said...

Very interesting. No, I knew my access info. Glad you got into your account without difficulty.

It was an I-Pass Supervisor who told me that online access was denied after 90 days without use of an I-Pass. You must have magic powers.

Gus said...

A Tollway manager called today and gave me correct information about account access. The Tollway does NOT deactivate an online account after a period of transponder inactivity.

We had a nice conversation and learned that staff have been refreshed on the correct policy.