Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chamber HQ - going, going, gone?

Is the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce about to lose its building because of unpaid 2011 property taxes?

The Delinquent Tax List, published in today's Northwest Herald, includes the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce, PIN 13-05-355-022 in Dorr Township.

How much does the Chamber owe? $7,482.42

McHenry County Treasurer Bill LeFew will make application to the 22nd Judicial Circuit of McHenry County on November 13 for judgement, and then he will expose the property to Public Sale on November 19.

This is the building that got a lot of public attention just 3-4 years ago, when it was revealed that, under the leadership of prior Boards of Directors, the original mortgage of $80,000 had increased to $180,000, and the ownership was at severe risk of being lost. Instead of managing operating expenses, the Chamber borrowed on equity. Then the equity line dried up.

Oh my gosh. Am I responsible for this? Should I have dropped everything on September 28, when I received my renewal dues notice for $166.00, and rushed to the Chamber office with my check?

I didn't realize that the Chamber was so hard up for funds. When I hadn't paid by October 16th, my membership was terminated and my business name was immediately removed from the online membership list. Doing so must have saved the Chamber a lot of money. They saved $0.45 postage by not mailing me a Second Notice, and no doubt they saved money by getting my business name off the rolls quickly. Just how much do a few bytes cost for a small name/address online listing?

This Chamber could easily fix its funding problems. It ought to have 300-400 members, instead of just 220. If businesses got something for their money (such as regular mixers and worthwhile educational seminars), business owners would join and renew. If it recognized the value of "customer service" (membership services), local businesses and franchises of national companies would join - and stay. If it surveyed members (and non-members), it would find out what they want and figure out that it was important to deliver that.

Instead, it can't afford to pay its property taxes on time.

No comments: