Monday, September 29, 2008

Getting Carded...

Recently I wrote about Wal-Mart's run-in with the liquor enforcement people and how the Woodstock Wal-Mart was out-of-business for two days' worth of liquor sales.

Today I was there and got carded! Imagine that!!! Now I must say that it has been many moons since I was last carded and many more, since I was younger than 21.

But the nice, young checker was just doing her job. In fact, she couldn't not do it, because the cash register prompted her to ask for my ID and enter some portion of my driver's license information before it would let her continue ringing up my purchases.

Well, Big Brother now knows that I purchased two bottles of wine. I could almost imagine the satellites turning in their orbits to zoom in on Woodstock.

I was reminded of a woman in a Loop bar whom I watched being carded 40 years ago. The experience is as clear today as it was then. After emptying her purse on the table for all to see and hear, and then emptying her wallet card by card, the woman let the waitress check her ID.

When the waitress asked what she would like to drink, the woman asked, "NOW may I have a coke, please?" Which promptly a loud round of applause from all the other customers in the bar.

No comments: