Monday, September 29, 2008

Excuse me, your gun is showing..."

This is the headline of an email I received about an article from the July 2006 United States Concealed Carry Association magazine. The article discussed the importance of carrying a concealed weapon properly, so that it is always out-of-sight.

Of course, in Illinois there is no way for a law-abiding, non-law-enforcement, citizen to carry a concealed weapon "properly." Maybe that day will be here soon.

I especially enjoyed the article, because I recalled a day in Colorado when I was enroute to a hardware store for a small purchase. Spotting a car on the shoulder of the roadway, I stopped to inquire whether I could be of help. I was off-duty that day and was packing a .38 Chief Special on my right hip, under my windbreaker.

The elderly driver had run out of gas, and I offered to drive him to a gas station. He entered my car and off we went to the gas station. Upon returning to his car, I offered to pour the gas into his gas tank. After doing so, I straightened up and turned around to find him standing behind me, his face as white as a sheet.

"I-I-I-I s-s-s-sure h-h-hope you're a c-c-c-cop," he said.

While I was pouring in the gas, my jacket had ridden up over my gun, and the driver had become alarmed. I quickly explained that I was with the sheriff's department and showed him my ID.

That calmed him down somewhat, but I'm sure he never forgot that day. I certainly never did, either.

If you'd like to read the article, from the July 2006 Concealed Carry Magazine, it's at http://usconcealedcarry.org/free/bigtrouble.html And, if you have an interest in membership in that organization, you'll find membership information on the website.

No comments: