Thursday, August 28, 2008

DMV Customer Service

It's always fun to call the DMV in Springfield for information. Generally, you get right through, and the customer service reps are always friendly. The number, should you ever need to call them, is 800.252.8980. It's also printed on the back cover of the Rules of the Road.

Today was no exception. When I telephoned for information regarding a vehicle licensing matter, the phone was answered on the second ring (after I navigated my way through the voicetree). A cheery person identified herself and asked if I wanted to be an organ donor.

"Not today," I replied.

"How about tomorrow?" she asked.

"Hopefully, not even then," I answered.

We took care of as much business on the phone as we could, and she directed me to the DMV office for the form I would need.

Customer service was good today at the Woodstock DMV, too. After I picked up the form, I renewed my driver's license today - six months early. Didn't want to have to take the motorcycle riding test on a sheet of ice behind their building in February. In fact, I don't ever want to take it there. All I had to do was stare into the eye machine and smile for the camera, and I'm good to go for another five years.

When I taught the AARP Driver Safety Program for three years, I always told the classes that, when I get too old to drive my car, I hope I'd still be able to ride my motorcycle. Lookin' good so far...

4 comments:

Dave Labuz said...

I am normally a Republican voter, but do vote across parties for the best person.

I voted for Glen Poshard over Ryan - too bad that didn't happen.

I've also voted for both Jesse White and Lisa Madigan, and will continue to do so.

I've gotta tell ya, Jesse has done a fabulous job, inspite of high odds against him, as well as a budget process that has always left him with little to work with in the way of funds.

Gus, I'm sure you and I are not the only ones to notice the improvement in the DMV experience over the years. The improvement in services is almost incalculable.

And Gus, loosen up! Are you really planning on living forever? Are you gonna need your corneas, liver, kidneys, etc. in the grave when you're gone?

Please reconsider! Can you imagine anything better than someone who was legally blind would be able to see again? Can you imagine the joy for that person and their family when the bandages come off and they can see their loved ones for the first time, or in a long time? Or someone needing a heart or any other piece of meat you won't need anymore?

I've been enthusiastically a donor for over 29 years now. All of my family knows my intentions as well, particularly as in the past, the DMV personnel used to treat it as a nuisance, not something of importance, so it was important that the family knew.

At least now that Jesse has actually created a registery, things will work better. Please reconsider!!!

DBTR

Gus said...

DBTR, loved your comment. Thanks!!!

I too have been a registered organ donor for years. What I meant above was (tongue in cheek) that I did not to actually donate that day, and I was hoping that I wouldn't HAVE to donate the next day.

Here it is - Friday - and I am still using the organs. Kinda hoping to use them for many more years and, thanks to this stress-free existence in Woodstock, I'm planning to hang around, publish The Woodstock Advocate, and keep on keeping on.

Thanks, DBTR. Write again soon!

Dave Labuz said...

Well, DUH!

Sorry!

:-)

DBTR

yagottabekidding said...

Reading this tripe for any length of time one would think you were one of the most stressed people on the planet. Whinge.