Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Can Osco's Computer Count?

Jewel-Osco has a new promotion now that gives customers an incentive to buy all their drugs at Osco in order to get a discount on other items in the store. After you get five prescriptions filled, you get a coupon good for 10% off a grocery or other drug store purchase. So be sure to present your Preferred Card every time you pick up prescriptions!

Depending on how often you shop and what you buy, this could add up quite nicely.

Here's the deal in the big print. Fill five (5) prescriptions and get 10% off your next grocery order. Certain items are excluded. You'll need your magnifying glass or a microscope to read the fine print.

And here's a possible problem. When I went through the drive-thru early this evening, I picked up four prescriptions. Later, when I looked at the receipt, I found that three of them were "batched" and rung up in one sum, so that the register tape shows only two "items" purchased, not four.

Is this a problem?

I called back and spoke with a pharmacist. She assured me it is not a problem and that I got credit for four prescriptions.

For me, this discount will not be a big deal, because I don't buy all that much in a week. However, for a family of 3-4-5, that 10% could result in very nice savings.

For the time being, keep track of the number of prescriptions you fill at Osco and compare it with how often you receive your 10% coupons (register tapes).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You found out that there was no mistake but you are still complaining about it. What is your problem?

Gus said...

There is a mistake. The number of prescriptions paid for was four; the number of "items" shown on the receipt was two. That's an error of two (2). Only by tracking the actual number of prescriptions paid for will I (or any other customer) know whether he is receiving a 10%-off coupon for every five prescriptions purchased.