Sunday, March 7, 2010

New Woodstock junkyard?

I've been watching the growing number of cars right off Route 47, just north of Jack Franks' office, on the south side of the RR tracks. Take a look, next time you drive by.

A new sign announces Marco Auto Mechanic. Last week, before the new sign was installed, I called the Woodstock Code Enforcement officer to ask what the heck was going on over there. Over the week-end, I learned.

It apparently is a new auto repair business but, from the looks of the number of cars parked against the RR embankment, it looks more like a branch of Route 14 Auto Parts junkyard.

Maybe it is time for Woodstock to license businesses. The City probably has no way to control what a legal business does on its property. There is no way that a brand new business could attract owners of all those cars that are in need of repair. Does Marco own them? Where did they come from?

I think Gavers on Lake Avenue now has a challenger for First Place for the trashiest-looking business in town. Gavers cleaned up the side of the business facing Lake Avenue a while back, but these pick-ups, loaded with junk parts, have been there for months.

Kind of makes me wonder whether the hands of our good Code Enforcement Officer, Donovan Day, have been tied up in terms of enforcement.

7 comments:

Franker said...

Oh Gus, don't be angry that you are a renter and don't own your own property. I understand your frustrations! Anyhow-Marco's has been in Woodstock for a while now. Some observant sheriff you will be! He used to operate out of the Citgo on Rt. 47 across from Aldi.

Gus said...

I guess I'll have to work on my psychic powers, so that I can know what is going on behind walls.

mike said...

Either that or read the signage which had been in place while Marco's was there.

Gus said...

Why would I have wanted to take my eyes off the traffic in front of me to read a sign at the Citgo station? Of course, I could have and then wrecked my car, and they could have run out and pulled it in for repairs before someone else's tow truck got there.

No problem with a repair garage, but go by and look at the number of cars there.

Also, go by Balleno's and see the huge number of cars just parked there, awaiting repairs "someday".

Then go by DeCraene's or Jim Olson Collision and see examples of keeping your parking lot looking respectable for the town's appearance.

Franker said...

While stopped in stand still traffic on Rt. 47 during the day you could have easily seen the sign at the Citgo without wrecking your car. I like your excuse that if you look at a sign and take your eyes off the road you will crash your car. Does that mean you don't look at street signs either?

mike said...

So, as I drove by the Citgo station this morning, I cautiously averted my eyes from the roadway as I sped north on IL Route 47 at about 25 miles per hour, and saw yellow tape surrounding the pumps and daring even further, I looked at the building itself and it appeared vacant. Anyone have an idea what's going in there?

Gus said...

Marco Auto Repair is working on bringing their property into compliance. They picked up a sign permit yesterday and are moving cars to get them off the grass and out of the front yard setback.

They were subleasing from a tenant at the Citgo on 47 and the tenant didn’t pay the lease so the owner kicked the tenant and Marco out. They had 30 days to find a new place which is why the building next to the tracks became such an eye sore so quickly.