Thursday, June 4, 2009

Guidelines - Display of Force

Do police departments and sheriff's departments have guidelines (or General Orders) that direct officers/deputies in their display of force when dealing with the public?

When is it authorized for a deputy to draw his weapon? Can he do so to intimidate or threaten a suspect, a witness or even just a person he encounters?

As I was thinking about certain local events, I was reminded of a traffic stop when I was approached by an officer with a serious-looking weapon ready to use. I had attended a meeting of the Civil Air Patrol on Lowry AFB in Denver, and I was driving toward the base exit.

When I saw emergency lights quite a few blocks behind me, I pulled over to let the vehicle pass. Imagine my surprise when he pulled in behind me. The Air Police officer approached my car door with his machine gun.

He demanded my driver's license and refused to tell me why he had stopped me. Now, this was not during a time of terrorism. It was in the mid-1970s!

He ordered me rather rudely to stay in my car and went back to his. When he returned to my car and handed me my license, I asked again just what was wrong. His answer? "You have a headlight out."

"Well, I'm sure glad it wasn't something serious!" I said.

The next day I called the office of the Commanding General to complain about being approached with machine gun at the ready and I was told that the officer might not have been qualified with his .38. What a dumb answer! I suggested that they relieve him of duty until he was qualified and said he'd then be qualified in six rounds!

So, what are the rules around McHenry County? When can deputies and officers draw their weapons, absent any appearance of threat to themselves or to another person?

And what are the penalties and/or disciplinary actions for improper use of a weapon?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Guns and badges make some cops feel very tough, when inside they are not very tough at all. It's like a baby with his binky, take it away and they are helpless.