Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bill LeFew - Nailed by the Mail

What’s the big flap about Bill LeFew’s mailing out 900 Daily Herald reprints about Lou Bianchi’s expenses? After all, this is Illinois; right? Surely, we are not expecting politics to be run in clean and honorable ways.

The big flap is about his anonymous mailing of them. According to this morning’s Northwest Herald, he purchased 900 reprints (or bought the use of the copyright for 900 copies or however he acquired them) and then mailed them out in plain envelopes without any return address. I’d say that’s pretty under-handed, whether it’s illegal or not. Did he stop to think, even for a minute, that someone would most likely uncover who sent them?

Why didn’t he just put his name and home address on the envelope and perhaps add a little note, such as “I don’t want to do anything that some might consider under-handed or slimy while I diss Lou Bianchi, so I want you to know that this is from Bill LeFew.”

No wonder the Republicans are taking such heat these days, starting with Republican #1, the top dog for the next 12 months, who sits in the White House.

Did LeFew peel and stick 900 stamps on envelopes himself? If not, who did? Did another member of the Let’s Get Rid of Bianchi team peel and stick the 900 stamps?

Was the postage metered? If so, through whose postage meter? Through LeFew’s insurance office? Is that a legitimate business expense of his insurance office and deductible for business purposes? I don’t think so. Did he already reimburse the $.41 postage for each envelope out of personal funds?

How much did the 900 copies cost him? Envelopes are only about a penny each. But now consider the time to fold, insert and seal in envelopes.

Did an employee in his insurance office fold and stuff the copies? On company time? What was the business purpose of such employee time, if that's how it happened? Or maybe family members got together for the mailing party.

The Republican Party should kick LeFew out now. I mean, n-o-w. There is no room for this kind of behavior.

When it comes time to elect a McHenry County Treasurer, let’s hope that all voters remember this sleazy mailing and elect a new treasurer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - I received a copy of the newspaper article without any indication as to who mailed it ... I thought Amy Mack at the newspaper was sending me a copy of her article ... I guess Bill La Phew isn't man enough to use his own name ... what a weeny, hiding behind an anonymous mailing. I don't really care for Lou Bianchi, but now I care even less for LaPhew ... I always ask candidates of holders of public office to tell me what they've done or will do for me, not what their oppponents have or have not done. Give me a reason to vote for you Bill, and not a reason to vote against someone else. Something stinks and I think its LaPhew!

Anonymous said...

How about that guy Ananymous comaliong about Stnky LaPhews sending an anonmyoius lettre! Whoe the stinker now!

Anonymous said...

I think that Ms. Ananymous is one of Bill's emoployees up at the County ... the middle-aged one with the dark hair who needs to loose about 10 pounds.

Cal Skinner said...

The postage was not metered. It was stamps.