Saturday, October 6, 2012

Signs and memories

Do certain signs trigger great memories for you? These bumper stickers are on a car that was parked in a Woodstock parking lot this morning near Unity Center, where Jailbrakers was holding an arts and crafts festival.

When I lived in Denver, my favorite radio station ran a contest for Neil Diamond concert tickets. Their offer was "Send us a postcard, and we'll take you to the Neil Diamond concert." So I did, and they did.

I sent off the postcard and forgot about it. I was home on a Friday evening and had the radio station on in another room, just for background "noise". My phone rang four times in a row, and friends told me they had heard my name on the radio. "Call now", they said.

I called in time and won two tickets for a limo ride, dinner for two and the concert! An assistant producer called me back with details and said, "Bring your wife and come to the radio station at 5 on Sunday. Any problems?"

"Just one," I told her; no wife.

So she told me to bring my girlfriend and be there at 5. Any problems?

"Just one; no girl friend."

She immediately said, "I'll go!"

To make a long story short (this time only), I did take her. When we arrived at the station's parking lot to meet the limo, her co-workers told her that she couldn't go, because she was an employee. "Not tonight!!!"

We had a great time and have been friends for 25 years!

No comments: