Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Jack Franks comes calling

Before 9:30am Jack Franks called me. Well, actually, he didn't call me; it was his voice -- on a robo-call. Can I count that as a call from my State Rep.?

The pitch was to elect a County Executive and "stop ever-increasing property taxes." And to get a "government that will be accountable to the people" and "actually lower your taxes."

I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night, Jack.

I do not see how electing a "County Executive" is going to lower my taxes or give me a government that is accountable to the people. Tell me how this works again.

The sponsor's name is on the signs now appearing around the County in the public way. Maybe I should write "in the public's way." The sponsor is "McHenry County Republicans for Lower Taxes."

I called the County Clerk's office today, and they have no record of a filing for this group as an assumed name. I found no registration on the Secretary of State website under not-for-profits. As I understand it, you can't just slap a name on a sign and not have it traceable to a business or person. Can you?

I know. I'll check with Mike Tryon. He'll know.

No comments: