Monday, October 15, 2012

"Halloween" at Classic Cinemas

Imagine my thrill at reading the announcement/advertisement in today's advertising newsletter from the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce.

Classic Cinemas, your hometown family theater chain, will show "Halloween". I've not seen it, and I don't intend to.

My first thought was, what a setting for some deranged person to make it to the front page of the Northwest Herald. Why would I want to spend money to go see a "slasher" movie?

Why "horror" on Halloween? Scare all the little kiddies? And half the adults?

And, worse, being in a gun-free zone in a movie theater gives patrons absolutely no means to defend themselves. Illinois legislators (at least, the Cook County Democrats) refuse to allow law-abiding citizens the right to carry a loaded handgun concealed upon their persons.

The whole state is a (legal) gun-free zone.

If you think that slasher movies are out of vogue, let Classic Cinemas know. Look for the corporate phone number on www.classiccinemas.com or use the Email Contact form there to sound off.

7 comments:

Joseph Monack said...

Movie theatres are private property.
Regardless of the Bill of Rights or any state's law, private property owners/business owners can make their own rules.
Most movie theatres, I would imagine, ban guns.
I don't hear a public outcry to convince private property owners to change their minds.
I hear a public outcry for regulating guns more.
It's a knee jerk reaction to think since a gun killed somebody guns need to be regulated more.

How have you not seen Halloween? It's a classic!
It isn't a really gory film like other slashers. It's awesome because of the cast, cinematography, and music. It exemplifies suspense done right!

"I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the *devil's* eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... *evil*."- Dr Sam Loomis.


Gus said...

When we do have concealed carry in Illinois, I shall avoid doing business with stores that forbid my entering while carrying. And I'll inform the owner/manager of my decision.

If a store is being robbed, the owner will want all the help he can get.

Armed citizens know not to just start blasting away. There will be times to just let the robber walk out, when no one is being hurt.

On the other hand, if a robber starts shooting, it's another story.

Gus said...

Read "From Luby's to the Legislature, by Suzanna Gratia Hupp.

Justin said...

Gus, even retired cops lawfully allowed to concealed carry are clearly advised not to insert themselves into a robbery (resort to old habits) UNLESS the robbery becomes an active shooter. Store owners would rather have the insurance pay the loss rather than incur the huge pay out from some errant shot. CCW is all about PERSONAL safety. You confuse the two.

Gus said...

No, I don't confuse the two. If you read my comment, you'd know that I discussed holding fire unless there is what you call an "active shooter".

Dave Labuz said...

Same for me too - "active shooter".

Otherwise? No loss of a few hundred dollars in a stick-up is worth the potentially negative consequences for all concerned.

Only AND unless you have an "active or potential shooter", where the failure to act reasonably informs you of unavoidable deadly injury by force on their part? Best to lay low and wait for the cops.

Anonymous said...

Halloween, the movie, is so tame in comparison to the video games that most pre-teens, teens and even "adults" sit and become immersed in all day sitting on their couch. Hour after hour after hour.

The movie theater is trying to keep their doors open.

Move to another state where you can walk around with your freudian weapon in a holster.