Friday, October 12, 2012

FBI - out fighting terrorists?

Back in June I asked the FBI for a copy of a December 3, 2010 letter that Undersheriff Andy Zinke sent to the Chicago office. Why did I ask the FBI?

Because Andy Zinke can't find his copy. Now, why can't an important letter from the McHenry County Sheriff's Department to the FBI be found? The Sheriff's Department must have made a diligent search for it. Even prodding by the Illinois Attorney General and the McHenry County State's Attorney couldn't make them find it.

Where is it? How could the Undersheriff send a letter to the FBI and not keep a copy of it? From what computer was it sent? His own? His laptop? His home computer? His administrative assistant's?

What caused that letter to vanish?

Since he couldn't find it, I asked the FBI for it. Why would they have it? Because on January 4, 2011, Angela Byers, Assistant Special Agent in Charge (Chicago), wrote to Zinke, saying that Special Agent in Charge Robert D. Grant "had had the opportunity to carefully review your December 3, 2010, letter".

On June 14, 2012, I filed a FOIA request with the FBI. Nothing happened. I followed up in a month On July 11, 2012, the Washington office of the FBI wrote that they would respond to my request.
I think it was in August that I followed up by phone and was told the response time could take 118 days.

I followed up again today. Using the online follow-up form on the FBI's website, this is the response: "The FBI's FOI/PA Program is processing your request in accordance to the Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts guidelines." That automated response is, of course, worthless!

So then I called the FOIA number, (540) 868-4593 - twice. After enduring the lengthy message twice, the recording tone sounded and I was immediately disconnected!

I sure hope they are out fighting terrorists.

No comments: