Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sheriff's race - concealed carry?

I wonder where the three already-announced candidates in the race for Sheriff in McHenry County stand on concealed carry.

The three are (alphabetically by last name)

Jim Harrison, Woodstock attorney and former MCSD deputy
Bill Prim, of Cary and formerly with the Des Plaines P.D.
Andy Zinke, of Woodstock and current Undersheriff
Current sheriff Keith Nygren never actually came out and said he was for concealed carry. When you listened carefully to what he said, you realized that he never said he was in favor.

The Illinois Sheriffs' Association got off the fence a while back and announced it was in favor of concealed carry. They had a vote on a Sunday morning at an annual meeting. I was never able to determine that Nygren showed up that morning to vote. Funny how no one remembered his being there, and there was no written record of the vote of each member present.

The Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police also now supports concealed carry. That's a huge step, because previously they had said they were against it.

It would be interesting to know where the police chiefs in McHenry County stand. I suppose that they would have to find out from their City Managers where they (the police chiefs) are supposed to stand. And City Managers would have to find out from their respective City Councils. And how should the City Councils make that decision?

Well, they ought to ask the residents of their cities, towns and villages. Will they?

Would any Chief have the guts to stand up and declare that he is in favor of concealed carry, regardless of the politically-correct answer from those who sign his pay check?

Check out this pledge. Think we could get every police chief and mayor in McHenry County and the sheriff to sign it?
Pledge: “I, ______________, will never, by use of force or any other means, confiscate firearms lawfully possessed by the citizens of my community.”

2 comments:

Joseph Monack said...

I think public opinion is shifting and it's good to see the police getting on board too.
It should only be a matter of time. We are the last state and since we don't have the lowest crime rates or firearm related deaths, I just see no reason to continue this violation of our Constitutional right to bear arms.
Obviously, the rules aren't helping.

Dave Labuz said...

And for those of you non-gun-owning citizens?

Stop sweating it, will ya?

As a current and licensed owner in McHenry County, and even if concealed carry were allowed me?

SELDOM would I be "carrying".

My reality right now is that my gun exists to blow you away should you forcibly enter my domicile. Can you say, "home invasion?"

Outside of that? MIGHT I "carry" into the Loop or deepest, darkest Chicago? Or when traveling around the continent on the Interstate Highways?

Probably then, but only in the glove box. Just like Walter Pyton! LOL!

But further, if in a concealed holster?

Only because common sense would tell me that I should.

And if common sense tells me that I should, and ONLY in that extenuating circumstance? Gosh - now why should that be?

Most of us will only conceal-carry when, where and IF reality compells us to do so.

Do yourself a favor - get in touch with reality. It's refreshing!