Sunday, January 18, 2009

WANTED - One ear trumpet

Am I going deaf?

When I was in a courtroom last week at the McHenry County Government Center, once again it was impossible to hear what was being said between the judge, lawyers and others standing before the judge.

It's interesting, though. My hearing comes and goes. It seems to be good, when a judge calls a case. He speaks loudly; perhaps this is so the person whose case is being called hears his name and can step forward.

But what about after that person and the lawyers step up? Something happens to my hearing. I keep feeling my ears and wondering where the Volume Controls are. I see lips moving, heads nodding and hands gesturing. The judge looks at the people whose lips are moving, and they seem to be looking at him.

But what happened to their voices? Did they all suddenly develop laryngitis? Am I sitting in an area of the courtroom that is surrounding by sound-deadening wall and ceiling panels that are designed to keep visitors and spectators from hearing what is said?

Judges announce that everything is recorded. So, why aren't the same microphones used to amplify the sound inside the courtroom?

Actually, amplified sound is not really needed in the courtroom. All that needs to happen is that the judge and others speak up. Just speak in the same normal conversational tone that is used to call a case.

I did compliment one attorney last week as he prepared to leave the courtroom. I handed him my card with a note on the back: "Thank you for speaking loudly and clearly." That got a smile out of him, too.

Speaking to the bailiff does no good; they don't even quiet the attorneys who talk among themselves or who confer with clients while court is being conducted. But heaven help the spectator who forgets and tries to carry on a quiet conversation.

I guess it would be impolite to show up with a four-foot ear trumpet or a 3' x 3' sign to flash at the judge: "CAN'T HEAR." Maybe a t-shirt? (Freedom of speech, don't you know?) I wonder if I could get either through Security. Perhaps all I'd have to do is claim, truthfully, that I am disabled (sporatic hearing loss, usually in courtroom settings) and then let them try to keep me out. They have probably heard of A.D.A.

I have forgotten whom I contacted a while back (someone at the County with Esq. behind his name), when I was told that the public has no right to hear what is said in a courtroom. I don't think so! Maybe in Iran or Afghanistan. But, in America, we absolutely have the right to hear what is said. What do judges need? A court case on this issue?

Please, McHenry County Judges, speak up, and also require the attorneys, defendants and witnesses to speak up. You'll get some clues from those of us seated in the courtroom with our hands cupped to our ears, staring at the moving lips.

No comments: