Monday, January 12, 2009

Courthouse Security - why so rude?

Just before 9:00AM today there was a long line of people waiting to enter the McHenry County Government Center and courthouse. The line extended outside, which meant were waiting in 20 degree weather to enter the building.

From the outside the courthouse security officers could be heard, yelling at those waiting to enter that they'd better read the instruction sheet that listed what could not be taken into the courthouse, put their coats on the conveyor belt, empty their pockets, submit their cell phones and take off their belts before passing through the screening device.

Why are they so rude?

As the first people that visitors encounter when entering the courthouse, they should be polite, friendly and helpful. Instead, they cajole and bully.

The Chief of Security needs to come down and observe his officers. The front officers need training and supervision. The line will move just as quickly, if they are friendly, and visitors will enter with an entirely different impression of government and justice.

These are not cops; they are security guards. They are customer service agents.

One day I erred in arriving with a small tape-recorder in my pocket. The guard told me in no uncertain terms that I had two choices: take it back to my car or turn it over to him and never see it again.

I was tempted to argue that issue with him but did not want to delay those behind me. But he definitely would not have gotten away with confiscating it and not returning it. When I asked if I could check it with the guards and retrieve it as I departed, he said I could not. He could have politely explained that they had no procedure for doing that, and I would have accepted that. Being bullied with "Take it to your car or lose it" was not an answer I would accept (without getting even here).

People come to the courthouse for business and for court. Even if coming for court, they deserve respect. And, right now, they don't get that at the front door of the McHenry County Government Center.

2 comments:

Laura said...

ahh, monday morning at the courthouse... when the security guards have to deal with a fresh batch of jurors arriving for jury duty... around what 120-150 people who are basically clueless on where to go and what to do. that was me last week! by tuesday all was well after we learned "the drill" and the guards were much more cheerful.

Talaska said...

I work per diem at various courthouses in the SF Bay Area. Court security barks orders at me as I scan my bag through security. "Put that tray in!" "Ma'am, get back here!" "Put your tray over there!" They are so rude and treat people like shit. What's the point I being rude like that? Makes working in court crappy!