Monday, September 20, 2010

Why dispute a $0.25 charge?

It's the principle! That's why.

This morning I took a letter to the McHenry County Clerk's office and left it for the Clerk, who is out today. I asked for a copy and for that copy to be stamped as Received. (I could have taken a second copy myself for them to stamp, but then a question might arise as to whether "my" copy was identical to the original.)

I was told that there is now a $0.25 charge for copies. I had to promise to pay, which I shall, because I had left my wallet in the car. And weren't they nice to give me the copy and let me owe them the quarter. Thanks.

Not being one to let a sleeping dog lie, I disputed the charge, understanding that I was not talking with the woman who made the rule in the first place. I mentioned that I could FOIA a copy of the letter, and then they'd have to provide it without charge. (And pay $0.44 to send it to me.)

I added that, if they were going to charge, they should charge only the cost of the copy and that the Attorney General has established that as $0.15. Even that is above the cost, which is actually probably somewhere between $0.03-0.07. The County must buy its paper in bulk, probably for about $1.50-2.00/ream (500 sheets). Toss in a nickel for the copy machine, and it's easy to see that the County Clerk's charge well exceeds the cost.

Remember the old phrase, "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile." OK, don't give them the first inch!

No comments: