Monday, September 27, 2010

ElderCare financial advice?

Does anyone know of an (Illinois) State-certified program that provides guardian, counselors or possibly volunteer managers to the elderly to assist them with managing their money (and keeping it out of the greedy little paws of the relatives just waiting for them to kick the bucket)?

I met a McHenry County woman a while back who provides that service, and I would like to refer a senior citizen in need of her services to her.

In only 30 minutes I was bounced from a friend to Senior Services in Crystal Lake, to Senior Services in McHenry, to Prairie States Legal Service (won't wait for hours on hold there), to Sen. Pam Althoff, to the Illinois Department on Aging, and back to Senior Services in McHenry.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be 85 years old, hard of hearing, slow in comprehension, hard to understand soft voices with a foreign accent, and trying to get this information. It would be an all-day exercise in futility!

1 comment:

Gus said...

More tomorrow, but Senior Services in McHenry helped me find exactly what I was looking for - a volunteer AARP program coordinated by the Illinois Department on Aging.