Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Start seeing guns

Suppose you walked into a restaurant (say, Culver's in Woodstock) and noticed that the man seated at the table in front of you was "packing."

Or, let's say that one of your kids said, "Mommmmmeeeeeeee, look! That man has a gun."

Oh, yes; let's assume that the sun came up in the west that morning and Illinois had passed a concealed-carry law and an open-carry law.

Would you quickly get over your surprise and calm down? Or would you get up and leave? Maybe not too quietly and maybe after berating the restaurant manager for allowing a man with a gun in his restaurant.

Or would you say to your kid, "That man is exercising an important constitutional and lawful right and, if we need help, I'll bet that he will help us."

Many states now allow concealed-carry and/or open-carry. If you go to Wisconsin, for example, you will very likely see armed men and women in restaurants. And they won't be causing trouble.

Are you preparing yourself for that day in Illinois? Will we live longer enough to see that day?

Contact your State Representative and Senator and tell him or her that you support concealed carry. You may not want to carry a gun yourself but, if you get in trouble, you'll hope that there is a law-abiding, trained citizen with a gun to protect you until the police can get there.

Remember: when you need the police in seconds, they are only minutes away.

8 comments:

Know better said...

As I am sure you are aware, it would not happen in most places. As anyone living in or traveling in a concealed carry state knows, most places post signs that don't allow you to carry inside their business. The law allows them to do that, and if you do you go to jail.

Gus said...

Are you sure that "most" places in concealed-carry states prohibit guns?

I don't know the actual statistics; do you?

What about the State to the North? Wisconsin allows open carry AND concealed carry. Hit your local Culver's for a ButterBurger, and don't worry about having to leave your gun in the car.

Just be careful in Madison, where the cops may not follow the laws.

Gus said...

If you would like a custom belt or shoulder holster made for your handgun by this talented man, send me an email and I'll connect you with him.

Steve said...

And Wisconsin, like all others (AFAIK) allows private property owners to restrict the carrying of firearms in their establishments. If you don't believe it, just take a look at several places up in Lake Geneva, various and sundry "nice" places in Wausau, Koehler, Milwaukee, etc.

As for the leather... one would think that if he's that much of a craftsman, he'd be able to make a holster that would fit that Ruger LCP and not leave the muzzle exposed. Who in their right (or left) mind would feel the need to carry openly like that anyway? If he isn't an idiot, then there isn't a logical explanation for it since the LCP is a miserable excuse for the small penis compensation syndrome.

I just ignore those signs in the Wisconsin eateries and bars as I do down here. I carry concealed - even though it's illegal - but, as I said, I carry CONCEALED - that means nobody sees it. I carry for one reason and one reason alone and if I am forced to utilize my weapon, I'll take my chances with the court. If you carry for show or testosterone replacement, that's a different matter, I guess.

Gus said...

Steve, I hate to spoil your dinner, but the weapon is not a Ruger. Also, he made the holster and then offered it to me if it fit my weapon. It does, and I don't mind the barrel showing a little.

Glad to know you carry concealed and admit that it's illegal. If you are willing to add five seconds (magazine insertion time), under Illinois law it looks to me like you can carry concealed without breaking the law. Keep the clip handy but not in the weapon.

Come on over to Woodstock and test the law. Just "transport" your weapon in your "container" (briefcase, lunchbag, fanny pack, garbage bag, coat pocket.

Dave Labuz said...

I have yet to see ANY such signs in carry states.

Includes all kinds of "hippy-dippy" businesses in Madison too.

Including the erstwhile head shops along State St. Oh, wow, man!

Lake Geneva? I wouldn't know anymore. I no longer recognize it for what it used to be - and for what it is now? No thanks.

Know better said...

All I can say is I spend alot of time in concealed carry states and those signs are all over. It's rare to go into a place that does not have them.

Gus said...

If you are referring to general business establishments (not courts, government offices, police stations, schools, etc.), how about "calling out" (politely) the business owner or manager and explaining why you will not be giving him or her your business?

Ask him (or her) to re-consider his gun-free zone and tell him about the Luby's Restaurant massacre in 1991. And the Aurora, Colo. movie massacre. Tell him what you would do, if you were in his business and a madman came in with a gun.

There will be times when we won't be able to do anything, because of the danger to innocent bystanders.