Tuesday, December 29, 2015

When did you laugh?

OK, here's the question of the day?

When did you last laugh? I mean, really laugh. As in, laugh so hard that your eyes teared, you almost fell off your chair, or you had to stop what you were doing until the laughter cooled off a little. I remember a day on my motorcycle near Glenwood Springs, Colo., when I laughed at something I had done. I laughed so hard that I had to pull over on the shoulder of the interstate and stop!

Has it been a while?

I'm reading the 1994 book titled Laughter Therapy - How to Laugh About Everything in Your Life That Isn't Really Funny, by Annette Goodheart Ph.D. (1935-2011).

I never met Annette, although I feel like I knew her. Back in about 1984, someone in Denver gave me a copy of her talk at Asilomar called "Sex Tee Hee". Annette was a sex therapist in Santa Barbara, and she wanted to be known as the Laugh Lady of Santa Barbara. She told the audience that she taught a 13-week course at the local college for $1.00. It was one dollar for the entire 13 weeks! I still listen to this tape about once a year, although I know all the lines and when laughter is about to explode.

Many quotes of others are spread through the book, such as "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." Erma Bombeck said that.

And how about this one? "The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." That one is attributed to Voltaire.

Next time you see "LOL", do it.

Grab a copy of her book on Amazon today. I got a used copy for practically nothing from an online Goodwill store in Oregon. It was in perfect condition, no markings, and arrived promptly in my mailbox. Then read it. It will do some good on your bookshelf, but it will do more good if you read it!

No comments: